|against William & Mary|
|January 29 | 4:00 in the afternoon|
|Elon Notes (PDF)|
ELON, NC – Elon University men’s basketball returns to action on Saturday, January 29, when it travels to Williamsburg, Virginia for a rematch of Thursday night’s game against William & Mary. Tipoff in the matchup is scheduled at 4 p.m.
– Listen to the Elon Sports Network from Learfield’s coverage on the Varsity Network app.
– Ancient voice of the Phoenix, Taylor Durham, will be in talks with coverage starting at 3:30 p.m. ET with the Carter and Smith Group Countdown to tip.
– Elon’s match against William & Mary will be streamed live on FloSports.
– Live stats are available and can be found by visiting https://elonstats.com.
– Thursday night marks the 24e meeting between Elon and William & Mary.
– The Phoenix is currently running in the all-time series, 16-7.
– In the most recent meeting between the two programs, Elon defeated William & Mary, 61-54 on Thursday, January 27.
– Michael Graham led the Phoenix with 20 points and 12 rebounds, while Torrence Watson chipped in 14 points and six boards. Hunter McIntosh also added 13 points to the win.
– Former CAA All-Rookie honoree Darius Burford currently leads the team in scoring (12.2 ppg), assists (3.0 apg), and steals (1.62 spg), while finishing third on the team in rebounding (4.2 rpg). Burford has scored 12 doubles this season and took at least two steals in nine games this year. His average score of 14.1 ppg in conference play is also in the top 10 of the CAA.
– Junior guard and preseason All-CAA First Team honoree Hunter McIntosh, ranks second on the team with 11.7 points per game, also adding 3.0 assists per game. McIntosh has scored double digits in 46 games, including 12 this season. He is currently in the top-15 in the conference with a score of 13.1 ppg during five CAA games this year.
– Second year center Michael Graham ranks third in scoring (9.7 ppg), while the team leads the team in rebounding with 7.0 rpg. Graham has scored at least 10 points in nine consecutive games and has registered five doubles doubles (three in a row) this season. Against Drexel, Graham set a new career record with 20 points and 12 rebounds in the win. His score of 13.6 ppg in conference play is in the top-15, while his rebound average of 8.5 and 2.0 blocked shots ranks third.
– Torrence Watson ranks fourth on the team, scoring 9.2 points per game, also adding 3.0 rebounds per game. Watson has hit a team high 61 times this season, 52 of his attempts for an 85.2 free throw percentage.
– Junior forward Zac Ervin is fifth on the team in scoring, averaging 7.6 points per game and 3.1 rebounds per game. Ervin has shot 35 threes so far this season while shooting at a 35.0 percent long-range clip.
– Junior forward Hunter Woods has 6.9 points and 4.6 rebounds in 25.2 minutes to 20 games this season. Woods is also currently second on the team in steals this season with 25 total.
– Senior attacker Chuck Hannah has averaged 4.8 points and 2.9 rebounds in 22.2 minutes per game since returning from injury against High Point.
– Freshman center Sam Sherry got his Elon career off to a solid start, averaging 2.2 points in just under eight minutes of action per game.
– Centre Andrew Junkin made his return from injury against JMU, finishing the night with season highs in points (6) and rebounds (3).
– Elon is currently in the top 2 in the CAA with a total of three made (199 – 1st), threes made per game (9.5 – 1st) and total assists (281 – 2nd).
– Elon set a program record for points at Schar Center (107), threes (20) and assists (27) in the home opener against Randolph.
– Seniors Chuck Hannah and Kris Wooten will serve as the team captains for the 2021-22 season.
– This season is the third season for Head Coach Mike Schrage at the helm of the Elon program.
SCOUTING WILLIAM & MARY
– William & Mary enter the game with an overall record of 4-17 and a record of 3-5 in CAA play after Elon fell, 61-54, in the most recent game. Ben Wight led the tribe in the game, with 14 points and six rebounds. Connor Kochera added 12 points and six rebounds, while Brandon Carroll scored a double-double with 11 points and 10 boards.
– Dane Fischer is in the midst of its third season at the helm of the William & Mary program. Before taking over at William & Mary, Fischer was an assistant coach to George Mason for four seasons.
– The Tribe is led by Connor Kochera who leads the team in scoring 11.9 ppg, also adding 5.0 rpg. William & Mary has also received contributions from Ben Wight (11.9 ppg and 6.0 rpg) and Quinn Blair (10.1 ppg and 4.2 rpg) this season.
LAST TIME OFF
– Elon got back on track with a 61-54 win over William & Mary on Thursday, January 27 at Schar Center. With the win, the Phoenix moved home to 3-1 in the CAA game and 6-3 overall at home this season.
– Michael Graham continued his strong game, finishing with another career-high 20 points, 12 rebounds and two blocks in the sophomore’s third straight double-double. He has hit five doubles so far this season. Through eight CAA outings this season, Graham has raised his average to 13.6 points, 8.5 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game.
– Torrence Watson added 14 points and six rebounds on 4-for-8 shooting from outside the arc in the win. The performance marked Watson’s eighth double-digit goal this season, and his second in a row after finishing 20 points against Delaware on Jan. 22.
– Hunter McIntosh finished the night with 13 points, three rebounds, two assists and two steals in 34 minutes of action. The performance marked the 13e double-digit score output for this year’s junior and the 46e in his career.
– Darius Burford scored eight points and four rebounds in 32 minutes while Hunter Woods led the team with a career-high six assists.
– The Phoenix allowed a three-point draw for the season, leaving the tribe at just 18.2 percent (4-of-22), including a 10 percent (1-of-10) score in the second half.
– Elon scored 26 points in the paint and 12 points on turnover.
– The Phoenix led by a whopping 13 and for 35:45 of a possible 40 minutes.
THE FACES OF 2021-22
– Elon returned three starters in Chuck Hannah, All-CAA Second Team honoree Hunter McIntosh and CAA All-Rookie Squad Darius Burford.
– Other returnees for the Phoenix are seniors Jerald Gillens-Butler, Kris Wooten and Charlie Mendys, juniors Ben Daugherty, Hunter Woods and Zac Ervinand sophomore Michael Graham and YesThin Michael.
-In addition, the auburn and gold welcomes five newcomers to the squad in Mizzou transfer Torrence WatsonMississippi State Transfer Andrew Junkin and freshmen RJ North, Sam Sherry and Reece Clark.
CAA PRESEASON POLL
– The Colonial Athletic Association announced its poll for the season on Thursday, October 28, with Elon finishing sixth.
– The Phoenix let two student-athletes take pre-season all-conference honors in Hunter McIntosh (1st Team) and Jerald Gillens-Butler (honorable mention).
– Elon scored a total of 202 points in the poll, including one vote for first place.
– Delaware was chosen as the preseason favorite with 296 points and 19 votes in first place, followed by Northeastern with 246 points and seven votes in first place. Drexel (234 points; five first-place votes), James Madison (224 points, three first-place votes) and Hofstra (211 points; one first-place vote) rounded out the top five.
– The Phoenix returns to action on January 29 when he heads to Williamsburg, Virginia for a January 29 matchup with the Tribe.
– Elon then returns home to host UNCW (February 3) and College of Charleston (February 5), respectively.
– The Phoenix follows up those games with back-to-back road games against JMU (February 10) and Towson (February 12).