DENTON, Texas – North Texas women’s basketball will hit the road for three games in six days starting in El Paso. The game against UTEP is slated for Thursday at 8 pm (CT) inside the Don Haskins Center and will air on ESPN+. Zac Babb will also have the call on KNTU 88.1 FM.
The Mean will look to bounce back following a home split between Southern Miss and LA Tech. UNT’s Preseason Player of the Year, Quincy Noble was huge in both games with starting point guard, Aly Gamez being out. Noble tied her career-high in points last Thursday and followed it up with 25 against the Lady Techsters. It was the fourth time in her career she has posted back-to-back 20-point performances.
UTEP returns home after being swept by Florida Atlantic and Florida International. The Don Haskins Center has been a safe haven for the Miners as they garner an 8-2 home record. They also boast one of the better players in the league with Katia Gallegos. Gallegos was also a C-USA Preseason First Teamer. UTEP has one of the more balanced attacks offensively in the conference with three student-athletes averaging double figures.
North Texas (8-9, C-USA 2-5) will continue its road trip to UTSA (Feb. 5) and UAB (Feb. 7). Both games will start at 2 pm (CT).
QUOTING HEAD COACH JALIE MITCHELL
“First thing that jumps off the page about UTEP is that they play all forty minutes with great intensity. It always a competitive, hard-fought game when we get together. For us, I think we need to find more consistency. For the last couple of weeks, it’s been good Thursday games and then it not so good Saturday games. So, finding more consistency and production across the board will be big for our team to have a successful road trip.”
– This will be the 18th all time meeting between North Texas and UTEP.
– The Minors lead the series, 10-7.
– UNT has won two out of the last three.
SCOUTING UTEP (12-7, USA 4-5)
– Is 8-2 at home, its two best home wins in C-USA come against Middle Tennessee and Old Dominion.
– Gallegos averages a team-best 12.5 points per game.
– Elina Arike is the team’s best rebounder, pulling down 7.7 boards per contest.
– Lost its last two (FAU/FIU).
– Head Coach Kevin Baker is in his eighth season with the program.
– UTEP was also selected third in the C-USA Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
FOR WHAT ITS WORTH
– UNT owns the third highest NET ranking in the conference (114).
– 114 is the second highest NET ranking of any Mid-Major team with a losing record.
– Last seasons peak in the NET was 112.
– Madison Townley is no. 1 all-time in school history for most rebounds in a career (778).
– Townley is four games played from No. 1 all time in UNT history (123).
– Mitchell is nine wins from the 100 career mark.
Please make sure to follow North Texas women’s basketball on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter (@MeanGreenWBB) for news and updates all season long.
Tickets for the 2021 season are available now. Any ticket-related questions may be directed to the Mean Green Athletics Ticket Office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (940) 565-2527.