Chase has announced an extension of its DoorDash benefits for its Sapphire, Freedom and Slate cardholders through 2024 and also added a monthly credit for customers with the Sapphire Reserve credit card. The benefits vary depending on which card you have. The news comes a month after the card issuer quietly expanded its Peloton benefits for Sapphire cardholders.
Key learning points
- Chase has announced an extension of DoorDash benefits for Sapphire, Freedom and Slate credit card holders.
- Depending on which card you have, you can get a free or low-cost DashPass subscription until 2024.
- The card issuer also recently extended its Peloton credit benefits for the Sapphire Reserve and Sapphire Preferred through June 2022.
Chase cardholders can enjoy DoorDash benefits for another three years
Chase has updated the terms of its DoorDash cardholder benefits with one of its flagship credit cards. Here’s how the benefits break down by card, as detailed in an email to Investopedia:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: Cardholders get a free DashPass membership until 12/31/24 or for a minimum of 12 months, depending on when they are activated. Additionally, as of April 2022, cardholders enrolled in the free DashPass membership will receive a $5 monthly in-app credit. Cardholders can pass up to three months’ worth of credits for a total of $15.
- Chase Sapphire Preference: Cardholders get a free DashPass membership until 12/31/24 or for a minimum of 12 months, depending on when they are activated.
- Chase Freedom and Slate Cards: If you have the Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Freedom Flex, Chase Freedom, Chase Slate or Chase Slate Edge and you have not yet used the DoorDash benefit, you have until 12/31/24 to sign up for three free months of DashPass membership. After that, you’ll be automatically enrolled for another nine months with a 50% discount on the membership ($4.99 per month), and then automatically enrolled for a full membership. Eligible cardholders will be able to take advantage of this from April 2022.
DoorDash DashPass offers unlimited delivery charges of $0 and reduced service charges for restaurant, grocery, and retail deliveries of $12 or more, as well as grocery deliveries of at least $25. Members also receive 5% credits back on eligible takeout orders, as well as other promotions and benefits.
The DoorDash announcement comes on the heels of Chase quietly expanding its Peloton benefits for Chase Sapphire Reserve and Preferred cardholders. Through 6/30/22, Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders can earn 10 points per dollar on Peloton Bike and Peloton Tread purchases, up to 50,000 points in total, and can also receive up to $120 in statement credits on Peloton All-Access or Peloton App Memberships.
Sapphire Preferred cardholders earn 5 points per dollar on Peloton Bike and Tread purchases, up to 25,000 points in total, plus up to $60 in credits for Peloton membership.
Before taking advantage of any of these benefits, think about the additional costs associated with each. For example, with DoorDash orders, higher food costs compared to dining, service charges (even if they are reduced), and gratuities. With Peloton, you have to pay for the cost of the bicycle or treadmill and any membership fees beyond the credit benefit.