Hey, Philadelphia! Here’s everything you need to know to get this Friday started off right.
First, today’s weather:
Occasional rain. High: 50 Low: 24.
🏡 Are you a local real estate agent? Let us help you generate leads, build your brand in Philadelphia and stand apart from the competition. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories in Philadelphia today:
- The School District of Philadelphia updated its masking guidance, saying cloth masks are no longer enough for in-person classes. This rule applies to both staff and students. Starting Monday, Feb. 7, the district will provide staff members with KN95 masks. (WHYY)
- Over 100 flights have been canceled at Philadelphia International Airport due to a winter storm that is hitting the eastern United States. As of 10:30 am on Thursday, 120 flights have been canceled. While snow is not slated to hit Philadelphia, areas, flights are being grounded where the storm is hitting hard. Travelers are encouraged to keep themselves updated as the storm continues. (Philadelphia Patch)
- On Wednesday afternoon police shot at a carjacker in South Philadelphia as he drew his weapon on them. The single shot did not strike the suspect and they were able to get the weapon away and arrest him. No one was injured during this incident. (WPVI TV)
Today’s Philadelphia Daily is brought to you in part by our friends at Verizon. They’re building the fastest 5G network in the country. To learn how 5G is going to change life for you and your community — and to get access to this amazing technology — click here. And thank you Verizon for sponsoring this community resource in Philadelphia!
Today in Philadelphia:
- EA Sports Club Online At Yeadon Public Library (3:30 PM)
- Philadanco At Office of Arts, Culture and the Creative Economy (7:30 PM)
- Viernes Calientes: Latin Dance Party At World Cafe Live (9:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- the Philadelphia Police Department shared a video of a suspect wanted in a shooting in the 22nd District. (Facebook)
- From quilting programs to book discussions, cooking classes to STEM activities, the Free Library of Philadelphiaa is celebrating Black History Month with a full calendar of events across the city. Visit freelibrary.org/blackhistorymonth to start browsing! (Facebook)
- Do you have a project that will help improve the Schuylkill River and its tributaries? Apply now to the 2022 Schuylkill River Greenways NHA’s Schuylkill River Restoration Fund for the opportunity to receive funding for your water work. (Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Loving the Philadelphia Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
- Get your local business showcased in front of readers
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Friday off right. I’ll catch up with you bright and early tomorrow morning with your next update!
— Dan Casarella
About me: Dan Casarella is a writer, podcast producer, and small business development specialist who formerly worked in late-night television. He’s produced many talk segments, including with President Joe Biden, Kobe Bryant, and Chadwick Boseman. Dan studied Media Studies and Production at Temple University. He also enjoys running, painting, and the highs and lows of Philadelphia’s sports teams.