BOWLING GREEN, Ky. † WKU women’s basketball will take on Florida Atlantic for the second time this season, this time in Boca Raton. The Lady Toppers won the first matchup, 73-49, at Bowling Green in January.
WKU (15-7, 8-3 C-USA) at Florida Atlantic (5-17, 1-10 C-USA)
Thursday, Feb. 10 | 5 p.m. (CT)
Boca Raton, Fla. † FAU Arena
Watch (CUSA.tv) | Listen (ESPN 102.7) | Live Stats
About the Lady Toppers
- WKU bounced back from a three-game losing streak with a 71-57 win against Old Dominion last Saturday. The Lady Toppers dominated on the glass, outrebounding the Monarchs 52-31. Alexis Mead led WKU in scoring with 15 points.
- The Lady Toppers’ defense has been strong this season. WKU has 251 steals on the season, the 13th most in the nation, and their 11.4 steals per game is 15th in the NCAA. Both of those marks lead C-USA. WKU is also forcing 21.05 turnovers per game which is the 17th best rate in the country. The Lady Toppers are holding opponents to 27.1 percent from the perimeter which is 38th nationally.
- On the offensive side, WKU shares the ball at a high rate, notching 328 assists on the season which is second in C-USA and is 54th in the country. The Lady Toppers are the conference’s highest scoring team, putting up 72.4 points per game. WKU is efficient on offense, leading the conference in 3-point field goal percentage (33.5%) and is second in the league in field goal percentage (43.2%). The Lady Toppers have made 174 3-pointers this season, which is tied for the ninth most in program history.
- Meral Abdelgawad is C-USA’s leading scorer, averaging 19.8 points per game, good for the 21st highest rate in the nation. Her 436 total points scored on the season leads the league and is 16th nationally. Her 56 steals are second in the conference and is 29th among all NCAA players. She’s shooting 54.0 percent from the field on the season, which is third overall in the conference and the top percentage for a C-USA guard.
- Mead has the fourth most assists in the league with 81 on the season, which is the most of any freshman in the league. Macey Blevins is making 1.73 threes per game, which is 10th in C-USA.
- head coach Greg Collins announced on Tuesday that freshman guard Mya Meredith will miss the remainder of the season with a torn ACL sustained in WKU’s game against Old Dominion on Feb. 5.
Series History vs. Florida Atlantic
- Thursday’s game against Florida Atlantic will be the 26th in series history. WKU owns a 22-3 record against the Owls all time.
- WKU is 9-2 against FAU in Boca Raton all-time. The Lady Toppers have won 13 of the last 14 games against the Owls.
- The series between WKU and FAU dates back to the 2006-07 season.
Florida Atlantic Notes
- Florida Atlantic is most recently coming off a 57-55 loss at East-leading Charlotte on Monday night. The Owls will be looking to halt a four-game losing streak on Thursday night.
- FAU earned its first conference win against UTEP on Jan. 27.
- When WKU and FAU played in January, the Owls were without leading scorer Amber Gaston. Gaston is averaging 11.9 points per game and 6.2 rebounds.
- Three other Owls are averaging double figure points. Janeta Rozentale is putting up 11.5 points per game, Rita Pleskevich is scoring 11.0 points and Alexa Zaph is averaging 10.5.
- WKU will return to Bowling Green to host UTSA on Sunday at 1 pm The Lady Toppers’ game against the Roadrunners will be a Play4Kay Pink Game.
How to Follow the Lady Toppers: For complete information on WKU Lady Topper Basketball, visit WKUSports.com or follow the program via social media @LadyTopperHoops on Twitter, @LadyTopperHoops on Instagram and on Facebook at facebook.com/WKUWomensBasketball.