Happy Thursday, people of Orlando! Let’s get you all caught up to start today off on an informed note.
First, today’s weather:
Plenty of sunshine. High: 69 Low: 49.
Attention, top law firms! We’re now offering sponsorship opportunities for local firms interested in building lasting connections with clients in Orlando. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top five stories in Orlando today:
1. Central Floridas first Brightline train has officially arrived in Orlando† it is one of 10 train sets that will serve Brightline’s Orlando extension, which is set to open in early 2023† Officials say the project is about 70% complete. (WFTV)
2. Orlando police say they have received a confession from a man who they believe is responsible for a pair of deadly robberies from 1987† 55-year-old Charlie James Hall was booked into Orange County Jail on Monday. (Click Orlando)
3. Orange County Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Barbara Jenkins has announced her retirement† Jenkins has worked with Orange County students for in 30 years and worked as superintendent for 10 years. (WESH)
4. The Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History is asking families nationwide to find old pictures of you at Walt Disney World in Orlando as part of a project the museum is working on. it also wants a description of what the photo and visit meant to you† (ABC Action News)
5. Orlando police are investigating after they say two people were shot at while riding bikes† One bicyclist was injured. The incident happened at Fanfair Avenue near the Community Baptist Church around 3 a.m on Wednesday† (Fox 35 Orlando)
From our sponsor:
Hey Orlando, are you looking to buy a house, refinance or just explore your options? Check out the new Patch Mortgage Center for all your home financing needs!
Today in Orlando:
- tai chi at 1st Unitarian Church of Orlando (9:00 AM)
- Charity Drag Bingo – Supporting PFLAG Orlando ate Burger Mary’s. (6:00 PM)
- Band & Orchestra MPA at Boone High School (7:00 PM)
- Gametime’s Play Your Way Thursday at Gametime Ocoee. (7:00 PM)
- Giselle at Steinmetz Hall – Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. (7:30 PM)
From my notebook:
- F45 SoDo is partnering with Orlando Weekly to give one lucky follower one month of Unlimited Training for free† (Instagram)
- Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer, Police Chief Orlando Rolon, and the Central Florida Crimelinepresented a memorial bench honoring Officer Kevin Valencia for his service and sacrifice to Orlando on Tuesday. (Facebook)
- the Orange County Board of Commissioners voted unanimously Tuesday to enact a stricter fertilizer ordinance meant to curb water pollution† (Click Orlando)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Loving the Orlando Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You’re all caught up for today! I’ll see you soon.
† Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.