Good morning, North Fork friends and neighbors. Today’s weather is slated to be less than stellar, so make sure you stay safe and dry.
Also, this weekend marks your last chance to see “The Laramie Project” at the North Fork Community Theater. The work of documentary theater examines the story of Matt Shepard, a gay college student, 21, in Laramie, Wyoming, who was kidnapped, savagely beaten, tied to a fence — and later died. The work is a powerful look at hate, and hope, and a must-see show.
Beyond the compelling subject matter of the play, more than ever, it’s important to support our local arts organizations, who were dealt such a crippling blow during the pandemic and are finally, after so many long months, able to present their work before a live audience.
Let’s do our best to make sure the seats are filled — and to keep the local arts flourishing on the East End.
Until next time. † † †
First, today’s weather:
Heavy rain and a thunderstorm. High: 47 Low: 24.
Here are the top stories today in North Fork:
- Don’t Miss: ‘The Laramie Project’ At North Fork Community Theater: Don’t miss the chance to see a show that’s been hailed as ” a captivating and encompassing piece of contemporary theater.” The show runs through Sunday at the North Fork Community Theater in Mattituck. (North Fork Patch)
- Man Charged With DWI After Crashing Into Southold Street Sign: PD: An East Marion man was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated after a single-car crash in Southold Thursday afternoon, police said. According to Southold Town Police, Santos Gonzalez Garcia, 45, of East Marion, was arrested on Route 48 at 3:31 pm and charged with DWI, first offense; operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content of .08 or 1 percent, first offense; leaving the scene of a crash with property damage; third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle; and driving without a license. (North Fork Patch)
- Sag Harbor Contestant To Compete On MasterChef Junior: A Sag Harbor 13-year-old will be debuting on the popular cooking competition, with world-renowned chef judges including Gordon Ramsay. (patch)
- Man Used Cars Without Authorization, Stole Credit Cards: Police: A Dix Hills man was arrested in relation to reports of stolen cars and credit cards in Greenport, police said.
According to Southold Town Police, Lonnie Elliselder, 31, was arrested on Thursday and charged with three c0unts 0f fourth-degree criminal possession of stolen property, credit cards; and two counts of unauthorized use of a vehicle without owner consent†(North Fork Patch)
- Things to Do on the North Fork This Week: March 11–17, 2022: If you’re looking for things to do in our corner of the world, check out these options. (Dan’s Papers)
Today on the North Fork:
- Vegetarian & Ethnic Food Preparation Workshop (10:00 am)
From my notebook:
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Gigs & services:
Loving the North Fork Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Saturday off right! I’ll see you around.
† Lisa Finno
About me: I’m a journalist whose passion is telling the stories of people’s lives. This is your site — this is a place for your voice to be heard. I can’t wait to hear from you all.