Authorities released more details Monday on five fatal crashes that occurred on Northern Nevada highways earlier this month.
These incidents are in addition to three deadly crashes that happened within a 1-hour span Sunday, two of which were fatal motorcycle wrecks on Geiger Grade, the other a single-vehicle rollover in Douglas County.
Residents are asked to email email@example.com and reference the following case numbers should they have information:
- On May 4 at 8:53 pm, troopers responded to reports of a motorcycle crash westbound on US Highway 50 at the USA Parkway roundabout in Silver Springs. Donald Devore, 71, of Igo, California, lost control of a 2006 Honda Shadow motorcycle near the roundabout, crossing from the No. 1 to the no. 2 travel lanes before leaving the roadway on the right and overturning. Devore was ejected from the motorcycle; he was pronounced dead at the scene. case no. 220500263†
- On May 5 at 7:42 am, troopers responded to reports of a single-vehicle rollover crash westbound on Interstate 80 in the area of Pershing County mile marker 117 near Lovelock. Desean Bohanon, 31, of Oakland, California, was operating a 2020 Honda Civic when he allowed the vehicle to drift into the center dirt median. The vehicle struck a cult and overturned. Bohanon was pronounced dead at the scene. case no. 220500283†
Deadly jump so far:NHP investigating 4 fatal crashes from weekend; 9 in fits 2 weeks
- On May 7 at 2:21 pm, troopers responded to reports of a fatal crash on US Highway 50 in the area of Riverboat Road in Dayton. A 2000 Volkswagen Jetta was traveling westbound in the No. 1 travel lane, while a 2017 Ford Explorer was heading east. The Volkswagen crossed into the eastbound travel lanes. Both drivers attempted to avoid a crash, but the front of the Ford struck the left side of the Volkswagen. The driver of the Volkswagen, Jakob Wingfield, 24, of Dayton, was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the Ford was transported to an area hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. case no. 220500438†
- On May 8 at 2:31 am, troopers responded to reports of a fatal single-vehicle rollover on US Highway 395 in the area of Douglas County mile marker 7 in Gardnerville. Jason Clarkson, 43, of Minden was driving a 2001 Ford Explorer SUV north when he crossed the centerline and left the roadway to the left. The vehicle struck several objects, including a barbed-wire fence and several trees and bushes before overturning. Clarkson was not wearing a seatbelt and was ejected from the SUV. Clarkson was pronounced dead at the scene; speed is a possible factor in the crash. case no. 220500478†
- On May 8 at 3:59 am, troopers responded to reports of a single-vehicle crash on I 80 near the I-580 transition at the Spaghetti Bowl in Reno. Arturo Espinosa, 27, of Sparks, was driving a 2009 Pontiac G6 eastbound on I-80 in the No. 3 travel lane when he collided with debris on the roadway. Espinosa, who was not wearing a seatbelt, lost control of the vehicle, struck a roadway sign and then a light pole. Espinosa was transported to an area hospital where he died from his injuries. case no. 220500481†
The details released Monday come several days after a series of other fatal crashes occurred on Northern Nevada highways between April 30 and May 1.
Kevin MacMillan is city editor of the Reno Gazette Journal. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org; follow him @lowercase_kevin† Here’s how you can support the RGJ’s steadfast news coverage and local journalism.